D.R.R. Government Polytechnic, Davangere was established in 1947 as occupational institute to cater to the needs of technical manpower by Maharaja of erstwhile princely state of Mysore. On account of noble and generous donations made by Dharmaprakasha Rajanahalli Ramashetty of Davangere, the institute was named after him. After reorganization of state 1n 1956, the then Government of Mysore changed the name of the institution as D.R.R. Government Polytechnic
The Institution foundation is laid by Sri. Nijalingappa the then Chief Minister of Karnataka on 1963. Initially Technical Education was imparted in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical branches. The non-engineering course Commercial Practice was added in the year 1972. Subsequently Electronics & Communication course was added in 1984 and later on Computer Science Engineering inducted in 2001 to fulfill the wide increasing needs of Technical Education.
Since inception our institution is experiencing glorious moments due to dedicated staff and meritorious student community. The campus is well maintained with sustained greening around with dedication and efforts of staff and students. The institution has on its records best alumni serving in Government and private sectors.